Okay, I have been vague and not at all enlightening about the upcoming changes in my writing journey. Today, I want to tell you all exactly what my plans are and how I will be sharing them on this blog.
Point blank: my goal is to begin my own author-entrepreneur business through which I will publish my books and offer other services.
Now, this is a long game. I am not going to just slap my NaNoWriMo manuscript up on Amazon and call myself a published author. No way! The journey to publication will take me several months, and the journey to being a full-time author will probably take me several years. However, now that I have my first drafted manuscript, I am ready to begin.
Below is the list of steps that I will be taking to move toward publication by November 2015. They are in rough chronological order, but there is some overlap and flexibility based on how my journey unfolds. For those of you who are also looking to independently publish, I hope these steps will serve as a very rough guide for one approach to the process.
1. Begin writing my next novel.
2. Edit and revise my NaNoWriMo novel.
3. Find beta readers for my first novel.
4. Start my author-entrepreneur business as an LLC.
5. Hire professional editors (developmental, copy, and proofreading) to help me polish my first novel.
6. Hire a cover artist to design my first novel’s cover.
7. Refine and expand my online author platform (starting with an update to this blog!).
8. Create an email list.
9. Expand my online writing community through guest posts, book reviews, and forums.
10. When my first novel is ready to publish, send out advanced reader copies (ARCs) in return for reviews.
11. Market and publish my first novel on multiple platforms.
12. Diversify my income by turning out more products (not just books!).
13. Continue researching, self-educating, and keeping up with industry changes.
If you do not know what I mean when I refer to these steps, or if you are interested in learning more about how to take them, don’t worry! I will be detailing each step as I take it on this blog, and I will also be rewinding the clock to explain the steps I have already taken.
That’s my plan in the broadest of strokes. There is a lot to do, but luckily, I can take it one step at a time AND I have you all for support.
If you see anything that I may have forgotten, have any questions you cannot wait for other blog posts to answer, or want to share your own plans and tips, please hit me up in the comments!